Hmm.. Isn’t it nice? Good enough bokeh come out from this little point and shoot camera digital? Yeah, I’ve just betrayed my canonian idealism into nikonian recently. I decide to take P300 Coolpix with me and sold my 500D. It’s a decent Camera Digital in P&S category. Some says that she’s still below Olympus XZ-1 or Canon Powershot S95, her rivals. I also disappoint that her descendant P310 have just came out this month and still not sold in Indonesia. Whatever man. It’s a love in the first sight!
Basic Specification Nikon Coolpix P300.
- Back-illuminated CMOS sensor. 12 MP. 1/2.3″
- processor Expeed C2
- ISO 3200, burst 7 fps
- Nikkor lens 24 – 100 mm f/1.8-4.9 (4,2x zoom optical)
- VR Optical
- LCD 3 inch, resolution 920,000 pixel
- Complete Manual mode, except for RAW
- HD 1920 x 1080 (30 fps), stereo sound, can be zoom while recording video
- HDMI output
What’s good in this P&S camera is
- Big focal length, f1.8 (although it only work in normal zoom)
- Fast shutter speed, at most I’ve tried 1/2000 mode
- Full HD with stereo sound <– I almost bought Powershot S95, but it has CCD Sensor that’s said they’re not good enough for video recording
- OHYEAH, almost forgot this little one, VR(Vibrate Reduction)!! In Canonian’s terms, it’s equal to IS (Image Stabilizer)
- I know MP doesn’t matter, but it only have 12 MP. Her descendant P310 has 16 MP and it’s not officially come out in our country.
- Doesn’t provide RAW processing. Can’t save your picture into RAW. *Well, for most pro it’s really bug them, BUT I didn’t even use it in my 500D. Beside I’m too lazy to post-process my shots. Beside again RAW pictures have a big size. Beside again…. so…*
- Histogram. Can not do live histogram except in exposure setting mode. Sometime we want to shot something while seeing the histogram.
- Remember my previous post about Sensor Image of Digital Camera? SENSOR IMAGE SIZE DOES MATTER. And this little devil has only 1/2.3. (The smallest size category of sensor image, cmiiw)
I like to shot. But, I should know my limitation. It’s a hobby, but I’m not good enough. I want those that portable, easy, and still powerful enough. I don’t want to teach every single person I met how to use DSLR to capture a shot for us. At least this whole year with my 500D not so wasteful. I know several basics technique (In the dinosaurus era, I didn’t know what A, S, and M mode mean. I didn’t know what is ISO, focal length, and shutter speed, etcetera etcetera etcetera…). I enjoyed you 500D, but it’s my time to move on and do what I’m best at. Invest the margin money to do better things.
Ciao. Auf Wiedersehen. Adios. Ari Viderci. Sayonara~